Posted On: 07/01/2012
BLT in muffin form … say what? If you love a little savory in the morning, this is the recipe to reach for. At newly opened Pint Size Bakery in South City, the BLT Muffin is loaded with sweet sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, cheese and applewood-smoked bacon. All the goodness of this time-honored sandwich in pint-sized pastry form? Now that’s a breakfast of champions.
12 to 14 muffins
Courtesy of Le Cordon Bleu’s Nancy Bosch
2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
¼ cup whole-wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. granulated sugar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
½ cup crumbled or shredded cheese (such as mozzarella, chevre, blue, feta or cheddar)
½ cup applewood-smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
½ cup spinach, fresh or frozen and thawed, lightly sauteed
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, pre-soaked and chopped
2 Tbsp. fresh basil, finely chopped
½ cup plus ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
½ cup whole or 2-percent milk
½ cup sour cream (not fat-free)
¹∕³ cup olive oil
1 large egg
• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
• Line a muffin tin with baking cups and set aside.
• Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and pepper in a large bowl and whisk to lighten.
• Stir in the crumbled or shredded cheese, bacon, spinach, tomatoes, basil and ½ cup of the Parmesan.
• In a separate bowl, combine the milk, sour cream, oil and egg. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, and stir just until combined. The dough may be lumpy, but do not overmix.
• Scoop the batter into the lined muffin tin, and sprinkle the top of each muffin with the remaining ¼ cup of Parmesan.
• Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
My good friend and pastry chef Nancy Bosch has a hankering for savory baked goods in the morning and developed this recipe to satisfy her cravings. We are so lucky that she decided to share it with us at Pint Size, because we make a version of this muffin every day.
— Christy Augustin, chef-owner, Pint Size Bakery
Want to comment on this article? Login or sign up on Sauce.